1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Divorce
  6.  » Changes To Spousal Support

Changes To Spousal Support

When a marriage ends in divorce, it is sometimes appropriate for one spouse to make support payments to the other. The amount of support provided is not necessarily set in stone. If either of the former spouses experiences a significant change in circumstances, either party to the divorce may petition the court for a modification of spousal support or alimony.

At Ellis Family Law, PLLC, our attorneys handle a wide range of family law issues for clients in Durham, Chatham, Orange, Wake, Granville, Alamance and Person counties in North Carolina. Whether you are seeking a support modification or wish to stop a modification that will adversely affect you, we are here to provide the skilled representation you need.

Changes to the tax code will result in changes to spousal support arrangements. As of Jan. 1, 2019, alimony will no longer be tax deductible to the payer and taxable to the recipient. The effects of this change will likely be far-reaching, and could make spousal support negotiations even more contentious.

Downward Modifications

In some circumstances, the payer may petition the court for a downward modification of spousal support. Such a change may be warranted if the recipient has increased income or is cohabiting with another person. A decline in the financial fortunes of the payer may also warrant a downward modification.

Upward Modifications

A recipient of spousal support may require a larger support payment if he or she suffers unemployment, disability or some other financial misfortune. If the paying spouse’s financial situation has improved significantly, the recipient may also be entitled to an increase in support.

We Are Here To Protect Your Financial Interests In Divorce

Do you need representation for a spousal support or alimony issue? Our experienced lawyers are here for you. Contact our law offices online or by telephone at 919-944-4811 (Durham) or 919-891-8838 (Pittsboro).