Appealing A Family Court Decision
Attorney Gray Ellis of Ellis Family Law, P.L.L.C., has successfully represented clients in appeals of family court decisions in Durham, Chatham, Orange, Wake, Granville, Alamance and Person counties. He has several published appellate opinions, which means he has helped shape and create family law in North Carolina.
Our firm has more than 40 years of cumulative experience serving clients. We have on our legal team several excellent attorneys who are board certified by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as family law specialists.
A Record Of Success In Appeals
Attorney Ellis routinely advises other lawyers how to properly admit evidence at trial level so the issue won’t be taken up on appeal. He also advises clients whether it is appropriate to appeal a family law case. All issues in a divorce judgment can be appealed, including marital property division, child custody and visitation, and child support and spousal support.
Here are some examples of family law appeals Gray Ellis has handled:
- Baumann-Chacon v. Baumann — Attorney Ellis successfully argued that a trial court does have the authority to enter temporary custody and child support orders before the parties physically separate from one another, as it is in the state’s best interest to protect our minor children.
- Danai vs. Danai − Attorney Ellis successfully defended the terms of a separation agreement in two separate appeals.
- Diehl vs. Diehl − Attorney Ellis was the primary defense lawyer in this seminal case that defined the term “legal custody” in North Carolina.
- Macher vs. Macher − Attorney Ellis represented the defendant in a challenge to an absolute divorce judgment that was heard through oral arguments at the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Pellom vs. Pellom − Attorney Ellis represented the defendant in a complex equitable distribution action concerning an interest in a medical practice valued at $1.2 million.
Did You Know?
If the stakes in your divorce are high, you may want to consult an appellate attorney to reduce the likelihood of the case being successfully appealed.
Ready To Review Your Court Decision
We are available to review the facts of a court decision and recommend a course of action. Call 919-688-9400 (Durham) or 919-679-9400 (Pittsboro), or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation.