1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Divorce
  6.  » Changes To Custody

When Existing Child Custody Orders No Longer Suffice

When initial child custody orders no longer serve the best interests of the children, it may be necessary to seek a modification of orders through the court system.

At Ellis Family Law, PLLC, we provide experienced divorce and family law representation to clients in Durham, Chatham, Orange, Wake, Granville, Alamance and Person counties in North Carolina.

Our attorneys will handle your child custody matters with great care and sensitivity. We are committed to protecting the parental rights of our clients and the best interests of their children.

What Warrants A Modification Of Custody Orders?

Many life changes can warrant a modification of child custody orders. Some of the most common include:

  • One parent wishing to move out of the area
  • Conflicts with visitation schedules
  • A parent’s alleged misconduct resulting in a CPS investigation
  • A child starting school or changing schools
  • The changing wishes of the child

As with any child custody determination, the overriding interest in a modification case is in protecting the best interests of the child. A family court judge will consider that above all else when deciding whether to approve a move away, changes to a holiday schedule or any other changes to custody.

Our child custody lawyers have handled numerous modification proceedings and know how judges are inclined to rule on these matters. We can guide you through the process of seeking a modification or stopping one you feel will adversely affect your relationship with the child.

Talk With An Experienced Child Custody Attorney

To discuss custody modifications or any issue relating to child custody and visitation, contact our law offices at 919-944-4811 (Durham) or 919-891-8838 (Pittsboro), or online by filling out a brief contact form.