1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Divorce
  6.  » Spousal Support

North Carolina Spousal Support Decisions Are Based On Numerous Factors

We Will Protect Your Interests And Advocate Aggressively

North Carolina courts may order spousal support if one of the parties is financially dependent on the other and the supporting spouse can afford to pay. At Ellis Family Law, P.L.L.C., we protect our clients’ interests regarding spousal support, whether they expect to pay support or receive it.

North Carolina provides two kinds of spousal support:

  • Post-separation support, or PSS, is temporary support paid to a dependent spouse. A dependent spouse is someone who was either financially dependent on the supporting spouse during the latter period of the marriage or is in need of support now. PSS can’t be barred due to personal behavior of the dependent spouse.
  • Alimony may continue for a specific amount of time, until remarriage or cohabitation within a marriage-like relationship, or death of either party. Alimony can be barred if the dependent spouse had an affair that was not condoned by the supporting spouse. “Condoned” means that when the supporting spouse found out about the affair, he or she forgave it. If the supporting spouse has an affair, however, the alimony statute states that the supporting spouse “shall” pay alimony. If both parties have an affair, the adultery has no effect on the alimony.

Did You Know?

  • Both PSS and alimony are limited to the reasonable needs of the dependent spouse and the supporting spouse’s ability to pay. Even if you have reasonable financial needs, the court can deny support if your spouse can’t afford to pay it.
  • In North Carolina, the courts use the inclination and opportunity doctrine as a method of establishing whether a spouse had an affair during the course of the marriage. The court does not necessarily require that you have tangible proof (i.e., videos, pictures, etc.), but you must be able to establish that there was an “inclination” and an “opportunity” for the adulterous conduct.

Put Our Experience In Your Corner

We bring more than 50 years of combined experience to every case. Call Ellis Family Law at 919-944-4811 (Durham) or 919-891-8838 (Pittsboro) or complete the contact form on this site to schedule a consultation.