- Founder & Managing Partner
Gray Ellis is the founder and managing partner of Ellis Family Law and has successfully represented individuals and families in their most important legal matters for more than 20 years. He is also Board Certified by the North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization – a distinction held by less than 2% of all family law practitioners in the state – and has been recognized for excellence in the practice of law by numerous independent attorney rating services.
In addition to his training and experience, Gray believes his effectiveness on behalf of clients is due in part to his personal experience as a parent who has gone through a separation.
“Perspective is very powerful in the practice of law, and especially in issues involving divorce, child custody, support, and end of life planning. I feel my background makes me a more effective advocate on behalf of our clients and provides an extra layer of determination and understanding about exactly what it is they are going through when they hire our firm.” – Gray Ellis
Gray is also a believer in giving back to both the legal profession and broader communities served by the practice. He is a Board Member of Meals on Wheels Durham and created the Feed the Need Gala, an annual event dedicated to raising awareness and funding to fight nutritional challenges among our elderly population.
In his free time, Gray enjoys tennis, golf, traveling and watching ACC sporting events.
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America Honoree
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Thomson Reuters
- Rated 10/10, Avvo
- North Carolina
Specialties and Certifications
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist, NC Board of Legal Specialization
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, J.D.
- Honors: cum laude
- North Carolina State University, B.A.
- With Honors
- Political Science
Professional Associations & Affiliations
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2008 – Present
- Durham County Bar Association, 2002 – Present
- Modern Family Committee of the North Carolina Family Bar (Chair)
- Divorce Clinic, Self Help, 2002 – Present
- Equitable Distribution Clinic, 2004 – Present
- Guest lecturer, UNC School of Women and Gender Studies
- Guest lecturer, Duke University School of Law
- University of North Carolina School of Women and Gender Studies, Guest Lecturer
- Board Member of Meals on Wheels of Durham
- Founder, Feed the Need Gala
- Habitat for Humanity
- Sponsor, Compass Center for Women Passion and Purple Event
- Sponsor, Durham Blues & Brews Festival Benefitting The Exchange Club of Greater Durham
- The American Society of Legal Advocates, 2016
- Burton & Ellis, Partner
- Wake County, Juvenile Court Counselor